Loquis: JW Marriott Essex House

Download Loquis!

JW Marriott Essex House

  loquis

Published on:  2020-04-28 12:56:00

  Discovery

Opened in 1931 and commonly known as the Essex House, this is a 44-story luxury hotel with 426 Art Deco-style rooms and 101 suites, across the street from the southern border of Central Park. The building also includes 147 condominium residences. It is immediately recognizable by its original red neon rooftop sign. The building next to it is called Hampshire House. JW Marriott Essex House New York is a member of Historic Hotels of America, the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The hotel is located on part of the expansive site of José Francisco de Navarro's "Navarro Flats", built in the 1880s as an experiment in condominium apartments. Construction began on October 30, 1929, one day after the Wall Street Crash of 1929. The hotel was first intended to be named the Park Tower and then the Sevilla Tower. However the Great Depression slowed construction and the hotel did not open until October 1, 1931, as the Essex House.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp