Loquis: Saint Michael Queenhithe

Download Loquis!

Saint Michael Queenhithe

  loquis

Published on:  2020-04-29 09:11:00

  Discovery

It was a church in the City of London located in what is now Upper Thames Street. First recorded in the 12th century, the church was destroyed during the Great Fire of London in 1666. Rebuilt by the office of Sir Christopher Wren, it was demolished in 1876. London had seven churches named after the Archangel Michael in the Middle Ages, of which five were rebuilt after the Great Fire. Queenhithe is still the name of the ward which the church was located in, and a dock on the Thames near to the church. The earliest reference to the church is as St Michael Aedredeshuda in the 12th century. Due to the move of population from the City to the suburbs in the second half of the nineteenth century, the church became redundant and the last service held in December 1875. The church was demolished in 1876 under the Union of Benefices Act 1860.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp