Loquis: Saint Mary at Hill

Download Loquis!

Saint Mary at Hill


Published on:  2020-04-29 13:28:00


It is an Anglican parish church in the Ward of Billingsgate, City of London. It is situated on Lovat Lane, a cobbled street off Eastcheap. It was founded in the 12th century as "St. Mary de Hull". It was severely damaged in the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was only partially rebuilt and has been much altered since, although some of its mediaeval fabric survives. St Mary-at-Hill dates to 1336. The north aisle was rebuilt at the end of the 15th century, and a south aisle and steeple were added a little later. The church survived the Blitz in the Second World War unscathed, but was severely damaged by a fire in 1988, after which its roof and ceiling required rebuilding. From 1510 the Chapel Royal choir sang here. The great composer Thomas Tallis was organist at St Mary-at-Hill between 1538–39. In several books on English folklore, or about ceremonies of London, there is mention of the Costermongers' Festival held here every October.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android

Live the world