Loquis: Saint Mary Abchurch

Download Loquis!

Saint Mary Abchurch

  loquis

Published on:  2020-04-29 13:01:00

  Discovery

It is a Church of England church off Cannon Street in the City of London. Dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, it is first mentioned in 1198–1199. The medieval church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666, and replaced by the present building. The church dates back to the twelfth century and is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The additional name "Abchurch" may be a variant of "Upchurch", referring to its position on comparatively high ground. "Restored and beautified" in 1611 at the cost of the parishioners, St Mary's was destroyed in the Great Fire of London of 1666. The church was rebuilt by the office of Sir Christopher Wren in 1681–1686. The parish was united with that of the nearby church of St Laurence Pontney, also destroyed in the Great Fire but not rebuilt. A bomb hit the church in September 1940 during the London Blitz. The greatest damage was to the dome. W. Godfrey Allen repaired the church between 1948–1953. The church has a red brick exterior with stone dressings. The ceiling of the church takes the form of a dome, pierced by four windows. It springs from four plain brick walls, has no external thrusts and measures more than forty feet across.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp