Loquis: Saint Leonard

Download Loquis!

Saint Leonard

  loquis

Published on:  2020-04-29 13:26:00

  Discovery

It was a parish church in the City of London. Of medieval origin, it was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and not rebuilt. The site of the church was retained as a graveyard. The church stood in Fish Street Hill, on the corner of Eastcheap, in the ward of Bridge Within. It was also known as St Leonard Milkchurch, a name, according to John Stow, derived from one of its builders, William Melker. Its existence is recorded as early as 1259. During the 19th century, excavations in Eastcheap for the new Metropolitan District Railway revealed the foundations of the church.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp