Loquis: Saint James Garlickhythe

Download Loquis!

Saint James Garlickhythe


Published on:  2020-04-29 10:16:00


It is a Church of England parish church in Vintry ward of the City of London, nicknamed "Wren’s lantern" owing to its profusion of windows. Recorded since the 12th century, the church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and rebuilt by the office of Sir Christopher Wren. It is also the official church of eleven City livery companies. The church is dedicated to the disciple St James known as 'the Great'. St. James Garlickhythe is a stop on a pilgrims route ending at the cathedral of Santiago da Compostela. 'Garlickhythe' refers to the nearby landing place, or "hythe", near which garlic was sold in medieval times. The earliest surviving reference to the church is as ecclesiam Sancti Jacobi in a 12th-century will.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android

Live the world