Loquis: Saint Dunstan in the East

Download Loquis!

Saint Dunstan in the East

  loquis

Published on:  2020-04-29 13:08:00

  Discovery

It was a Church of England parish church on St Dunstan's Hill, halfway between London Bridge and the Tower of London in the City of London. The church was largely destroyed in the Second World War and the ruins are now a public garden. The church was originally built in about 1100. A new south aisle was added in 1391 and the church was repaired in 1631. It was severely damaged in the Great Fire of London in 1666. It was built in a gothic style sympathetic to main body of the church, though with heavy string courses of a kind not used in the Middle Ages. In 1817 it was found that the weight of the nave roof had thrust the walls seven inches out of the perpendicular. It was decided to rebuild the church from the level of the arches, but the state of the structure proved so bad that the whole building was taken down. It was rebuilt to a design in the perpendicular style by David Laing. The foundation stone was laid in November 1817 and the church re-opened for worship in January 1821. The church was severely damaged in the Blitz of 1941. Wren's tower and steeple survived the bombs' impact. Of the rest of the church only the north and south walls remained. It was decided not to rebuild St Dunstan's, and in 1967 the City of London Corporation decided to turn the ruins of the church into a public garden, which opened in 1971. A lawn and trees were planted in the ruins, with a low fountain in the middle of the nave. The tower now houses the All Hallows House Foundation.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp