Loquis: Cox and Hammond's Quay

Download Loquis!

Cox and Hammond's Quay

  loquis

Published on:  2020-04-29 09:15:00

  Discovery

It was a wharf located in the City of London, on the north bank of the River Thames a short distance downstream from London Bridge. It was originally two separate quays, Cox's Quay and Hammond's Quay, separated by Gaunt's Quay. On the landward side, the wharf was accessed via Lower Thames Street just behind the site of the church of St Botolph Billingsgate. The wharf encompassed three of the twenty Legal Quays of the City of London, designated in the Act of Frauds of 1559. They were given state authorisation to serve as official landing and loading points for traders. The warehouses of Fresh Wharf and Cox and Hammond's Quay were damaged during the Second World War by a V-1 flying bomb strike that demolished the nearby Nicholson's Wharf. They were replaced in 1953 with a ten-storey warehouse constructed as part of the expanded New Fresh Wharf, with four million cubic feet of storage space. This only lasted twenty years; with the collapse in traffic to the London docks that followed the advent of containerization the wharf was made redundant and was demolished in 1973. It was eventually replaced by St Magnus House, an office building designed by Richard Seifert that was constructed in 1978. The site of the old quayside is now part of the Thames Path.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp