Loquis: Congress House

Download Loquis!

Congress House

  loquis

Published on:  2020-04-28 12:55:00

  Discovery

It is the headquarters of the Trades Union Congress (TUC), a British organisation that represents most of the UK's trade unions. In 1948, David du Roi Aberdeen won an architectural competition to design the new TUC headquarters building in Great Russell Street, London. Staff began to move into the offices in 1956 and the building was officially opened in 1958. Congress House was officially opened on 27 March 1958 along with the unveiling of a giant pietà-style statue of a woman holding her dead son, carved in place in the internal courtyard by Jacob Epstein, it was intended as a memorial to the dead trade unionists of both world wars. The front of the building is dominated by a bronze sculpture by Bernard Meadows representing the spirit of trade unionism with the strong helping the weak.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp