Loquis: Cavendish Square

Download Loquis!

Cavendish Square

  loquis

Published on:  2020-04-28 13:12:00

  Discovery

It is a public square in the West End of London, very close to Oxford Circus, where the two main shopping thoroughfares of Oxford Street and Regent Street meet. It is located at the eastern end of Wigmore Street, which connects it to Portman Square, part of the Portman Estate, to its west. One side is faced by the rear of the flagship John Lewis shop. It was first laid out for the 2nd Earl of Oxford by architect John Prince, beginning in 1717 as the first development on the Earl's London estate. It was named after the Earl's wife Henrietta Cavendish-Holles. It included various nobles' London residences, including the Duke of Portland, the Duke of Chandos, Princess Amelia, and the Lane Baronets. The bronze statue on the south side of the square is of William George Frederick Cavendish Bentinck (1802–1848). Known simply as Lord George Bentinck, he was MP for King's Lynn, Norfolk. The statue is by Thomas Campbell and was erected in 1848. Underground at Cavendish Square, there is a car park with spaces for 521 cars and 83 motorcycles. In the 19th century, numbers 11, 12 and 13 had become a convent with a tunnel underneath the road. Following bomb damage in the Second World War, the nuns commissioned the architect Louis Osman to restore the houses and create a bridge between the two.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp