Loquis: Church of S. Nicolò, Cathedral of Taormina

Download Loquis!

Church of S. Nicolò, Cathedral of Taormina

  loquis

Published on:  2019-07-24 09:15:00

  Taormina

The Cathedral fortress, as it was called the Cathedral of Taormina, was built in 1400 on the ruins of a small medieval church and dedicated to St. Nicholas of Bari. It has a Latin cross structure with three naves. In the two side aisles there are six minor altars. Six columns, three on each side, of monolithic origin in pink Taormina marble and surmounted by capitals decorated with leaves and fish scales, support the central nave. The latter opens up under a wooden-beamed ceiling with carved shelves, which reproduce Arabic motifs rendered in Gothic style. The main portal, restructured in 1636, is of great interest, with a large rose window sculpted in Renaissance style.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp