Loquis: Villa Sora

Download Loquis!

Villa Sora

  loquis

Published on:  2018-03-14 11:46:00

  VisitLazio

Villa Sora is situated along Via Tuscolana and it is surrounded by a big garden. Villa Sora was cited in the history books as a country house from the first half of the 16th century and was known as "Torricella" , property of the religious order of the "Santa Sanctorum" Chapel in Rome. Villa Sora was bought by the Salesian Fathers in the 20th century and they still own the villa which is now a school. The construction works of the Villa started n 1570, when the Count Giulio Moroni, nephew of the Cardinal Giovanni Moroni, bought the piece of land called "La Torricella" , transforming the pre-existing building in a villa refined enough to have as guest Pope Gregory XIII, Giovanni Boncompagni, Duke of Sora, from whom the Villa took its name. During this period, splendid frescoes were painted in the Grand Hall, representing Apollo and the nine muses. They were attributed for a long time to the painter Zuccari, but later they were attributed to Cesare Rossetti, of the Cavalier d'Arpino workshop. The private Chapel is situated next to the Grand Hall, it is dedicated to St Charles Borromeo (who was a guest of the Villa at one time) and it is decorated with frescoes dating from the second half of the 18th century. The garden surrounding Villa Sora is decorated with myrtle bushes, water features and fruit trees.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp