Loquis: Sermoneta Castle

Download Loquis!

Sermoneta Castle

  loquis

Published on:  2018-03-12 14:32:00

  VisitLazio

The Caetani Castle rises majestically above the town of Sermoneta, dominating the entire Pontine Plain. Built by the Annibaldi family in the early 1200s, over time it was further fortified to make it impregnable. The castle is undoubtedly one of the most complete monuments of old medieval architecture in Lazio and Italy. It is now owned and preserved by the Roffredo Caetani Foundation. The only remaining part of the 12th century fortress built by the Annibaldi is the 42-metre high keep, and the adjacent Maschietto tower dominating a square courtyard (Piazza D'Armi). The rest was demolished by the Caetani, who owned the castle from 1297, and rebuilt the Hall of the Barons and the adjacent building called the "House of the Painted Rooms"; they built new buildings and walls. In 1499, after the Caetani were excommunicated and their properties confiscated by Pope Alexander VI, the castle was owned by the Borgia who altered the Hall of the Barons and built the so-called House of Cardinal Valentino Borgia as well as powerful fortifications. These included the "Citadel" designed by Antonio da Sangallo. In the early 16th century the castle was returned to the Caetani who, after the looting in 1798 by French soldiers, started extensive restoration work at the end of the 19th century. The castle now belongs to the Roffredo Caetani Foundation, created by Lelia Caetani, the last descendent of the Sermoneta branch of the fa

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp