Loquis: Santa Maria Assunta in Rieti

Download Loquis!

Santa Maria Assunta in Rieti

  loquis

Published on:  2018-03-09 10:41:00

  VisitLazio

The cathedral was consecrated by Pope Honorius Third in 1225. The bell tower started in 1252. To the left of the façade we can see the 14th century Baptistery, with double cross-vaulting. It now houses the Duomo Building Museum. A wide portico, commissioned by Bishop Capranica in 1458, connects the Baptistery to the church and bell tower. It has three doorways, with the central Romanesque doorway being decorated by elegant acanthus leaf designs. The interior has a sumptuous Baroque design with a Latin cross layout and three naves. The current dome dates from 1794; the floor, installed in 1889, has recently been rebuilt on the basis of the earlier model. The imitation marble in the interior are the work of Rieti artist Cesare Spernazza (1884). Among the artists who have decorated the church we can recall Andrea Sacchi and Giovanni Antonio Mari based on a sketch by Bernini. The crypt, started in 110, was consecrated in 1157. Consisting of a single nave with 16 travertine columns, it preserves fragments of 14th century paintings.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp