Loquis: Castello ducale

Download Loquis!

Castello ducale

 

Published on:  2019-01-10 10:27:20

 

On the highest part of Bovino, stands the Palazzo Ducale, also called Castello, built by Drogone the Norman in 1045 on the ruins of an ancient Roman fortress, and then expanded by Frederick II of Swabia during the thirteenth century. Each feudal lord who succeeded it has adapted the building to its own needs, giving it more and more the appearance of an elegant aristocratic residence. To the south in the Cassero, traces of the ancient Roman fortress are preserved, while the majestic circular tower, called a knight, is from the Norman era. Inhabited until 1961 by the descendants of the Guevaras, it was one of the most beautiful patrician houses of the south during the seventeenth century. In the halls with coffered vaults and in the beautiful hanging garden, Torquato Tasso, Giovan Battista Marino, Maria Teresa of Austria and Pope Benedict thirteenth found hospitality. In the chapel of the palace there is a silver reliquary, containing a thorn from the crown that surrounded the head of Jesus and other relics.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp