Loquis: Museo Civico 'Pietro Cavoti'

Download Loquis!

Museo Civico 'Pietro Cavoti'

 

Published on:  2019-01-10 10:27:19

 

Born from the desire of Cosimo De Giorgi to preserve the collection of his great friend Pietro Cavoti, the Cavoti Civic Museum is located in Galatina in 1936. The collection of works was donated to the Municipality by the lawyer Raffaele Torricelli of Avetrana, who with public testament of 1931 he left to the Municipal Library and to the Museum all the books, the illustrations of the Church of Santa Caterina and still prints documented engravings signed by Cavoti. Once housed on the ground floor of Palazzo Orsini, in 1970 the museum was moved to two large rooms in the former Dominican Convent, where in 1983 the historical-artistic collections were heavily depleted by two thefts. The current layout, designed by Maria Prato between 1997 and 1999, sets the heritage according to a historical and artistic itinerary that illustrates the history of Galatina from antiquity through archaeological finds from the 1900s.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp