Loquis: Nuovo Museo Archeologico

Download Loquis!

Nuovo Museo Archeologico

 

Published on:  2019-01-10 10:27:19

 

Housed in the ancient Convent of the Franciscans of Santa Maria della Pietà, the New Archaeological Museum tells the story of the Ugento village over the centuries. The structure was built in 1430 by order of Raimondello Orsini del Balzo, Count of Ugento, and was for a long time a place of refuge and prayer for the Observant Friars Minor. The museum is on two floors, with a rich and detailed exhibition layout that tells the story of Ugento through the finds from the Archaeological Museum of Taranto and hundreds of objects dating from the Messapian age to the advent of the Romans, found in recent campaigns of excavation. One of the most famous finds is the bronze Zeus, discovered on the bottom of a natural pit covered with a decorated limestone capital. All to admire are also the famous Tomba dell'Atleta, a rich numismatic collection, the remains of a man perfectly preserved and, again, utensil vessels and environmental reconstructions.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp