Loquis: Chiesa dei Santi Luca e Martina

Download Loquis!

Chiesa dei Santi Luca e Martina

  loquis

Published on:  2019-05-14 08:38:00

  Open House Roma

The academic church of Saints Luca and Martina was built starting from 1635 to a design by Pietro Berrettini da Cortona. The sacred building was built ex novo on the site of the primitive title of Santa Martina, granted in 1588 by Sisto V to the University of Painters of San Luca and located near the Imperial and Roman forums at the foot of the Capitol. His complete remaking was started in 1635, thanks to the "miraculous" discovery of the relics of the titular martyr and the interest of the then Prince of the Academy, Pietro da Cortona. The only survivor of the buildings insistent on the same block, demolished in 1932 for the opening of Via dell'Impero, lateral and apse fronts were redefined on Gustavo Giovannoni's project. The church, one of the most interesting examples of Roman Baroque, has recently been reopened after a careful restoration.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp