Loquis: Borgo di Gradella

Download Loquis!

Borgo di Gradella

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

Originally the village was called Gardella, a toponym that seems to refer to a fortified castrum; in fact in this place, in the early Middle Ages there was a Longobard garrison with a castle probably destroyed around the thirteenth century. It was named for the first time in 1186 when Federico Barbarossa gave it to Milan along with other possessions and at the end of the half of the territory passes under the control of the Diocese of Lodi. In 1442 Gradella Inferiore is granted in fief to the Milanese family of Landriani while Gradella Superiore is part of the Duchy of Milan together with Pandino and passes to the Visconti, Sforza, Sanseverino, Duarte and finally to the Marquesses of Adda. Starting from 1558 the noble Brescian Onofrio Maggi begins to buy land and houses in Gradella, where he had built the manor house, and in 1692 the Maggi family became sole owner of the village, at that time inhabited by 49 families, obtained by the King Charles II of Spain the investiture of Feudo di Gradella. In 1796 the village witnessed the passage of Napoleon Bonaparte, who rests here before the battle of Lodi fought against the Austrians. In the thirties of the twentieth century, Gradella is owned by Count Aymo Maggi, known for being one of the creators and organizers of the Thousand Miglia, which is dedicated in particular to the village by doing many public works. Following the death of Count Aymo, the property is sold to private individuals who engage in agricultural land management to preserve the original soul of the village.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp