Loquis: Chiesa di San Martino

Download Loquis!

Chiesa di San Martino

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

The ancient Pieve di San Martino is built in the eleventh century in Romanesque forms on a pre-existing early Christian basilica dating back to the middle of the fifth century. The church built has a rectangular layout, divided into three apsidal naves. The vertical structures of the building have a double wall cladding arranged in a herringbone pattern that repeats the Roman opus spicatum and the interior is filled with river and lime pebbles. The war broke out in the eleventh century between Milan and Pavia, the two major cities of the Italian kingdom, due to the entire destruction of the built-up area in 1059 and the partial ruin of the church which, together with the village, rises again after the catastrophe an important religious center with the title of Pieve.In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries because of the serious state of abandonment in which the church is placed, several repairs and interventions that alter the Romanic lines of the pieve are performed.But the deepest transformation is carried out in the eighteenth century by archdeacon Alessandro Clavelli who, between 1724 and 1729, carried out a radical restoration that completely transformed the internal lines of the hall with large pointed arches, vaults in the presbytery and plaster and plaster superstructures. Ten years later the outside of the church is altered and the façade is painted in black and white bands, according to the taste of the time. The two restoration campaigns carried out in the last century have brought to light the original lines of the monument.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp