Loquis: Piazza del Comune

Download Loquis!

Piazza del Comune

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

The ancient platea magna, the area above which between 1100 and 1300 are built the grandiose monuments that characterize it, at that time is much smaller than the current one and is developed on different levels, in fact it is the part higher than a natural promontory where once stood Cremona, protected by the river that originally ran next to it, and after the year 1000 it had changed its course and definitively departed from the city. The foundation of the cathedral in 1107 defines the eastern border of the new reservoir, which as early as 1118 is used as a civic center without having yet the name of the stalls. The oldest reference to the square dates back to 1138 and for the whole second half of the twelfth is called Cremea major ecclesie ecclesie. The construction, starting from 1167, of the Romanesque baptistery defines the south-eastern border of the square. In 1206, with the construction of the new Palazzo del Comune, placed in front of the Cathedral, the square assumes the definitive name of platea major and within a few years the space around the monuments is crowded with banquets and small shops in the market. To the west of the Baptistery, where were located the medieval houses of the family of lawyers, at the end of the thirteenth century, the Palazzo or Loggia dei Militi was built next to the town hall, which defines the south side of the basin, while on the corner opposite, to the north of the Cathedral, the soaring bulk of the Torrazzo is being completed. At the end of the thirteenth century the main square is outlined in the form and completed by all the monuments that even today qualify it. The last decade of the fifteenth century saw the intervention of Ludovico il Moro, who promoted the general reorganization of the city and the redevelopment of the square through the restoration of the public palace and the reform of the facade of the Duomo. In August 1830 the general leveling of the area of ​​the square and the rest of the city began and in 1930 the works of isolation of the Duomo were completed, which during the centuries had been suffocated by the opening of shops and small buildings that did not allow the reading of the monument, altering the harmony of the square.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp