Loquis: Casa degli Stampatori ebrei

Download Loquis!

Casa degli Stampatori ebrei

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

The village of Soncino is linked to the history of the Jewish press. Here in 1441, coming from a distant German town, comes the family of the rabbi doctor Israel Nathan, who after an initial wear and tear, in the second half of the fifteenth century, dedicated himself to the work of the printer by applying the new invented metal movable type technique by Giovanni Gutenberg in 1455. The advent of the Press in the village of Soncino takes place at a time particularly favorable to the development of craft, commercial and cultural initiatives, which marks the Renaissance era. It is in the tower-house of via Lanfranco located in the north-eastern district of the village, inhabited at that time by the Jews, which according to tradition is established by the Jewish printers. The tradition is supported by the dating of the building that dates back to the late Gothic period and its construction features that see the use of a wall structure particularly resistant to atmospheric agents and the weight of the internal decks, characterized by large openings on the ground floor and from numerous ogival windows on the upper floors, which make it a place of work and residence of the family of printers. In the following years, due to anti-Jewish persecutions, the Jews abandon Soncino and migrate to other cities and towns to Constantinople, growing as printers and always signing their works with the name of "Soncino", for recognition to the village where their business was born. Following an important restoration, in 1988 the building of the former Jewish printing house is destined to seat of the Press Museum. The inauguration takes place on the occasion of the celebration of the fifth centenary of the printing of the first complete Hebrew Bible.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp