Loquis: Piazza del Duomo

Download Loquis!

Piazza del Duomo

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

Piazza del Duomo, located in the center of the city, is also its original nucleus: it corresponds to the ancient fortified citadel from which Cremona was born. In the medieval citadel, protected by the Moso marsh and by the river Serio, all human activities took place, from the religious to the economic one and it was a safe place in case of an enemy attack. During the long and happy period of the Venetian domination that lasted three and a half centuries, the city acquired the physiognomy that still characterizes the historic center. In those years the transformation of the Piazza del Duomo takes place: the ancient audience is reinterpreted according to the functional and aesthetic needs of the period, welcoming the new monumental buildings of the Palazzo Comunale, the Torrazzo, the Palazzo Pretorio and the Palazzo Vescovile which together they form the large enclosure developed around the pre-existing Cathedral. The first interventions are carried out in the second half of the fifteenth century and concern the construction of the adjoining porticoes to the small building units that connote the south side of the square, required by a specific resolution of the 1474 community. in 1525 the construction of the new Palazzo Comunale, built on the ruins of the previous one, together with the coeval Torrazzo, an axis of commercial connection between Porta Serio and Porta Ombriano. The Palazzo Comunale comes to close orthogonally the western side of the square, while the Palazzo Pretorio, built in 1547 and the Palazzo Vescovile complete the layout of the square, giving more space and dignity to the northern side that tightens around the Duomo.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp