Loquis: Castello di Pandino

Download Loquis!

Castello di Pandino

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

Bernabò Visconti, Lord of Milan, identified a suitable location for a castle to be used as a leisure and leisure residence in a territory full of woods, rich in flourishing vegetation and prosperous fauna, as it was at the beginning of the fourteenth century. hunting, favorite activity. The castle was built around 1355, inside the pre-existing fortified walls of the city of Pandino. The architecture, typical of the Visconti castles, was decorated in every space, even in the servants' quarters and in the stable, today the municipal library. In the fifteenth century the castle strengthened its fortified structure to counter the imminent expansion of Venice, even if the attempts were in vain; the Venetians occupied it for a few years, between 1446-48 and 1500-09.Eliminated Bernabò with a coup, the nephew Gian Galeazzo became the new lord of Milan, and continued to use the castle of Pandino as a residence of countryside. After him the son, Filippo Maria, was the last of the Visconti to govern Milan. The city passed under the dominion of the Sforza family, and so also the castle passed to the same family. In particular in 1470 it was used by Ludovico Maria Sforza, duke of Milan, known as Ludovico il Moro. After the Milanese ducal property, since 1479, having been confiscated to Ludovico Maria Sforza all the properties, the fortress was entrusted to the Sanseverino, feudatori of Pandy; it remained with the latter until the extinction of the male branch of the family, after which it passed to the Landrians. In 1552 it became of Pagano d'Adda and remained in this marquisate until 1862, when it was completely transformed into a farm. The last owners, D'Adda, during the nineteenth century, gave the castle for rent, both as a dwelling and as the site of various activities, and gradually transformed it into a large farmhouse, using the rooms on the main floor as a silk spinning machine. Also in that period was the demolition of the western side of the building, which also led to the almost complete destruction of the two towers. In 1947 the municipality managed to buy the castle and in the fifties began restoration work. Today it houses the municipal offices, the library, the canteen of the cheese school and numerous events. Despite the innumerable changes in ownership and tampering, the castle is one of the best preserved fortified residences in the whole of Lombardy, which has almost completely original appearance, thanks also to the constant and active commitment of the municipal administration. Today the exterior and the courtyard of the castle can be visited every day, while inside it is possible to access by appointment.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp