Loquis: Chiesa di Sant'Agostino

Download Loquis!

Chiesa di Sant'Agostino

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

The construction of the church began in 1339, by the monastic order of the Augustinians, and ended in 1345, with the design direction of Theodosius Guarneri. The building was built on the site where once there were the churches of St. Thomas and St. James, demolished just to make room for the new construction. In 1260, in fact, the monks of St. Augustine used the two churches. The spaces turned out to be small for the whole confraternity, and so, in 1336, Bishop Ugolino granted the demolition of the pre-existences to erect a larger structure and more suited to the cult of the Hermitages of St. Augustine.Innalzata in Gothic-Lombard style, the church was completed in 1478 and consecrated in the same year. The building of the bell tower with its elegant mullioned windows dates back to 1462. In 1553 the building was radically transformed, with the addition of masonry vaults. The sixteenth-century intervention preserved the original form, only the facade declining Gothic architecture in Renaissance forms. In 1734 the convent attached to St. Augustine was occupied by military troops and the church was used as a hospital. When, two years later, they left, the building needed important transformations and upheavals. At the beginning of the nineteenth century the order of the Augustinians was secularized with the consequent alienation and demolition of the convent in 1813. Ordinary maintenance works were carried out in the nineteenth century, while interventions of greater importance that mainly affected the chapels, were implemented between 1951 and 1953. The last campaign of cleaning and restoration of the latter began in the second half of the nineties of the last century.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp