Loquis: Villa Medici del Vascello Viscardi

Download Loquis!

Villa Medici del Vascello Viscardi

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

The origins of the villa date back to the beginning of the fifteenth century, in an era when the territory of San Giovanni in Croce is the scene of clashes between Guelphs and Ghibellines and the Ghibelline lord of Cremona, Cabrino Fondulo, between 1406 and 1407 build a castle in that place to ensure control of the Lower Province of the Cremonese against the lords of Parma and Mantua. The quadrangular fortress has a crenellated tower on each corner and a moat around it. The transition from a defensive structure to a noble residence takes place starting from the second half of the fifteenth century, under the duchy of Milan, when the castle was ceded by the Duke Gian Galeazzo Sforza to the Bergamino family. It seems to be the work of Ludovico Bergamini's wife, Cecilia Gallerani, - the famous Lady with the Ermellino portrayed by Leonardo da Vinci - the first steps to refine the residence. With the extinction of the Bergamino family, at the beginning of the seventeenth century the castle and fiefdom passed to the Spanish government, and in 1671 they came into property to the Soresina-Vidoni marquises to whom we owe the current appearance of the villa. Dei Soresina-Vidoni is in fact the initiative to lighten the southern front with the opening of the loggia and to rotate the axis of the building by 90 degrees modifying the plant which, from a square shape tightened by corner towers, assumes a U-shaped The same is also due to the creation of the grandiose romantic garden behind the villa built around 1820. Following the extinction of this family, the villa, after being passed into the hands of several private individuals and after years of complete abandonment, was purchased and entirely recovered from the Municipality.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp