Loquis: Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie

Download Loquis!

Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

Outside the walls of Soncino, near the southern gate, where there was a chapel dedicated to the Madonna delle Grazie, the Carmelite monks, between the end of the fifteenth century and the beginning of the sixteenth century, built their monastery with the adjacent convent In 1520 the factory was completed and in 1528, it was solemnly consecrated by Monsignor Luca da Seriate in the presence of Francesco II Sforza who financed the decoration. The Carmelites enjoyed, in fact, the support of the Sforza and the feudal lords of Soncino, the Marquises Stampa, who subsidized their work and made it their private chapel. The unfinished bell tower was built in 1515 by Gerardo da Piacenza. In 1772, after the edict of Maria Theresa of Austria, which provided for the suppression of convents, the Carmelites had to leave Soncino. The abandoned church began an inexorable degradation until, in 1864, Paola Elisabetta Cerioli, founder of the order of the Sisters of the Holy Family, bought the convent and the church and began the work of recovery that saved the monastery from abandonment and neglect. Even today it is from the Sisters of the Sacred Family Institute and is home to the homonymous Institute.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp