Loquis: Palazzo dell'Arte

Download Loquis!

Palazzo dell'Arte

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

The history of the Palazzo dell'Arte is closely linked with that of the violin museum which finally finds its deserved and appropriate place in a city of master violinmakers starting from the Great Antonio Stradivari. The art palace was built during the Fascist era by the Neapolitan architect Carlo Cocchia. Roberto Farinacci, a leading exponent of the National Fascist Party, wants to build it, with the aim of providing the Cremona Prize with a prestigious venue. Because of the war the demonstration was interrupted, as was the work on the Palazzo, which was completed only in 1947. After being used for military purposes in the last months of the war, the building hosts, until the sixties, exhibitions, musical evenings and charity initiatives, but it also becomes a bus station and a gym. Only a few years later, in 1957, part of the Palace regained partial dignity of use by hosting the School of Violin Making. At the end of 2009 it was decided to start the recovery operation. The restoration is financed by the Arvedi Buschini Foundation, together with the Municipality, and the project is by the architects Giorgio Palù and Michele Bianchi from Arkpabi. The restoration project of the architecture of Luigi Cocchia not only affects the building but the entire urban layout of the square in front of it, piazza Marconi; the large area facing the building is nowadays a pedestrian area, underground parking and a green area. The archaeological finds of a Roman villa and sculptures by the Albanian artist Helidon Xhnonoha and the Catalan Jaume Plensa are found here as well. The building has finally reconquered its monumental dimension and became the seat of the Violin Museum.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp