Loquis: Chiesa della Santissima Trinità

Download Loquis!

Chiesa della Santissima Trinità

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

A primitive church of the Trinity already existed in 1095 and was officiated by the Cluniac monks of SantissimaTrinità. Located at the entrance of the city, near the walls, it was destroyed by Barbarossa in 1160; then rebuilt between 1185 and 1199 in the place of the former by the religious community of the Umiliati.La new relevance acquired by the Church of the Holy Trinity in 1462, with the transfer of parish benefit from the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, is the main reason for the construction of a new and larger temple begun in 1479. This building built in the middle of the Renaissance includes the holy water at the entrance of the current church which was originally the baptismal font and the sepulchral monument of the condottiere Bartolino da Terno, of Lorenzo Bregno of 1518 The construction of today's Church of the Holy Trinity began in 1737, after the demolition of the old building, and ended in 1740 as indicated by the cartouche on the western front. Elevated entirely from the foundations, on the area and with the same orientation as the previous one, it is attributed to the architect Andrea Nono, master builder and construction manager, who adapts to the urban conformation, creating a limited structure in plan but very developed in height.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp