Loquis: Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena

Download Loquis!

Chiesa di Santa Maria Maddalena

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

The first news regarding the church dates back to 1285, when it was a parish dedicated to St. Clement. The temple is located in the Meuse, so called since the Middle Ages because the swampy area adjoining the city with the construction of the medieval walls. The urban development that affects the area in the second half of the fifteenth century, determines the need to build a larger church that was completed in 1484 on a project by Lazzaro Pozzali very active engineer in Cremona in the Sforza era. The church, enlarged and renewed in structures, is enlivened by a rich decorative apparatus of frescoes that covers the interior that is partially hidden by the reforms that radically transform the temple in 1623-26 by changing the spatial relationships with the floor's elevation, the opening of new windows and the inclusion of elaborate stucco decorations. Only the presbyterial area is spared because of the onset of the plague of 1630. They are the restoration works carried out in 1964-68 which together with the static consolidation of the temple, with the recovery of the fifteenth-century frescoes and the restoration of the original openings, restore the historical readability of the building.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp