Loquis: Chiesa di Santa Maria della Croce

Download Loquis!

Chiesa di Santa Maria della Croce

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

Between April and May 1490 a series of miraculous apparitions of the Virgin, accompanied by equally miraculous events, are at the origin of the building of a large Marian shrine outside the walls of the city of Crema, in the locality Novelletto, near the river Serio .Intitled to Santa Maria della Croce because on that day the first graces had occurred, the design of the temple is entrusted to the architect Giovanni Battagio, among the most interesting figures of the last Quattrocento lombardo, author of important construction sites. The construction started from the Battagio between 1490-1493, on a central plant of Bramante inspiration, it was concluded around 1500 by Antonio Montanaro who made some modifications to the original project. In 1694 the reformed Order of the Discalced Carmelites was called to the church, which in 1706 construction of the great convent near the temple and a few years later creates the bell tower that flanks the basilica. In 1702 the twins Gerolamo and GB Grandi and the Valtellina from Giacomo Parravicino executed the frescoes of the vault inside the great volume of the tambour. The restorations carried out between 1903 and 1904 perfected the covering of the minor bodies that remained for centuries with a provisional pitched structure. which are finally completed by copper domes.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp