Loquis: Battistero del Duomo

Download Loquis!

Battistero del Duomo

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:22:41

  Stories of art in Lombardy

The construction of the baptistery began in 1167 and is part of a large architectural project begun in 1107 with the foundation of the Cathedral and resumed after the earthquake, aimed at creating the Platea Maior with the complex of buildings that define it. In this context, the baptistery, as an architectural completion of the new cathedral, confirms the power and wealth of the city at that time. From an ancient tarsia of the century fifteenth of one of the choir stalls of the cathedral we know of the existence of a low portico, probably made of wood, which connects Torrazzo, the Duomo and the Baptistery under which the shops of the market open around the religious monuments. As part of a broader reform that also concerns the cathedral, in the mid-sixteenth century the baptistery is involved by a series of interventions aimed at giving it a renaissance appearance. The architectural modifications mainly concern the terminal part of the structure where Francesco Dattaro realizes the gallery in substitution of the original loggia and creates a new covering not adherent to the dome. The other interventions involve the marble facing of the two sides of the baptistery that overlook the square and the closure of two doors, preserving the only access to the square with the added austere protiro by Francesco Dattaro. Moreover, in these years the long portico that connected the three religious monuments was eliminated, replaced by the so-called Bertazzola started by Lorenzo Trotti in 1493, which unites the Cathedral at the base of the Torrazzo.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp