Loquis: Chiesa di Sant'Agostino

Download Loquis!

Chiesa di Sant'Agostino

  loquis

Published on:  2018-11-14 19:23:36

  Notes of art in Lombardy

The church of Sant'Agostino, whose construction began in 1339 and ended in 1345, stands on the evocative piazza of the same name. The façade reflects the classical canons of Gothic-monastic architecture in Lombardy. The gabled front is characterized by a gallery with pointed arches at the top. The basilica plan has three naves divided by pillars, a division also maintained by the internal restructuring of 1553, which however replaced the verticality of the Gothic arches with vaulted ceilings. The bell tower with its elegant mullioned windows, built in 1462, stands out. heavy intervention that has generated considerable alterations, the church is interesting and valuable for the presence of frescoes and paintings including one can not but admire the cycle of frescoes painted by Bonifacio Bembo, among the most significant of late Gothic painting, present in the prestigious Chapel Cavalcabò, built in 1399. No less important is the presence of the famous panel with Madonna and Child among the saints John the Evangelist and Agostino by Pietro Vannucci called Il Perugino, dated 1494.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp