Loquis: San Domenico

Download Loquis!

San Domenico

  loquis

Published on:  2018-10-05 14:02:00

  Discovery

A church, titled the Pieve di Santo Stefano del Castellare, was present at the site since about the fifth century. Construction of the precursor to the present church, also known as San Domenico Vecchio, began in 1304, and was constructed over the pre-existing church which had become inadequate after the growth of the Dominican Order. According to Giorgio Vasari, it was designed by Giovanni Pisano. That church was consecrated in 1459, and had a layout that resembled the northern-European Hallenkirche plans. By 1614, the San Domenico Vecchio church was dilapidated, showing structural problems, and threatening collapse. New plans for refurbishment were implemented. The church façade retains a late 16th-century portal and is now double Baroque staircase. The interior was renovated in 1629 by Carlo Maderno, and shows similarities with Maderno's design of the nave of St Peter's in Rome, except San Domenico has small lateral windows.

Download Loquis!

Available for iOS & Android


Live the world

#HeadsUp